Taking Time For Me

What do I do to recharge myself, reenergize my spirit, or simply clear my mind from the daily activities of managing my life with my family, overseeing mom’s care and running our home? How do I keep a positive attitude in the midst of what is sometimes chaos on many levels? I have been asked that many times over the years. In fact, my doctor just asked me that yesterday, when I went in for my yearly appointment. She asked me if I am deeply religious? I said yes, very. She said it shows and that in and of itself made me smile and feel happy.

Since I quit working outside the home, I don’t have money to just do whatever suits my fancy. I have to really think about when and how I spend “play” money. However, I have found I don’t need a lot of money to satisfy my desires. I love to do a wide variety of things and find pleasure in simple things. Here are a few of my favorite things I love to do and when I do any of these things I  always seem to get just what I need from each activity:

I love to sit in the Adoration Chapel at our church and simply be in the presence of our Lord. I pray, mediate or just sit quietly and center myself in the peacefulness of the silence. I get the same pleasure and joy from attending Mass on Sunday.

I love spending time with my family and friends. Nothing gives me more fulfillment, nothing.

I love scrapbooking. Taking something ordinary and turning it into something beautiful, personal, and special is very rewarding to me.

I love to go to movies. Sometimes I pack a sandwich and take myself to a late morning movie, then spend the rest of the day thinking about what I saw.

I love to go for long walks. I mostly go alone and enjoy listing to my music as I walk, but it’s twice the pleasure when I have a willing partner to walk and chat with me.

I love to read and often will just get lost in a good book.

I love to get pedicures and manicures. This is a simple pleasure that makes me feel so pampered!

I love to cook and spend many hours looking at recipes and practicing different dishes.

I love to entertain family and friends and will look for any occasion to have them over for drinks, dinner, laughs and memory making.

I don’t necessarily love the actual act of cleaning house, but I LOVE a clean house, and take great pride in my home, so I do deep cleaning every week and light cleaning everyday.

I love to fish and sometimes take myself to a local fishing pond. Sometimes Bill and I go together.

I love horses and will drive to a pasture where horses are and just sit and watch them. Such beautiful, majestic animals.

I love to people watch and will take myself to a mall to window shop and people watch. I often find myself wondering what kind of lives all the people I see are living.

I love writing my blog. I find it very therapeutic and always hope something I share will be of some help, comfort, or inspiration to someone who reads it.

I love wine and I always make time for myself to have a glass, or two, of wine in the afternoon as I prepare myself to prepare dinner.

I love challenging myself everyday to get enough of the right kind of exercise, so I ride my exercise bike, walk, and now that we have a pool I will invent a new pool exercise program.

I love my girlfriends and am ALWAYS looking for reasons to spend more time with them doing whatever suits our fancy…

These are but a few of the things I love to do. The list could go on forever…but no matter what I choose to do, I always make it a point to stay focused in the moment, and get every bit of what I need from whatever activity I’m engaged in so when I leave the activity, I find myself refreshed, renewed, centered, and never disappointed or deprived!

Next: Everything Happens For A Reason

Apr 20, 2012 @ 20:23:01

And I love to go to NYC to see my frissy!!!! Ha! Ha! Just had to add one more! Can’t wait! XOXOXO MORE!

Apr 20, 2012 @ 20:41:04

YES I DO and I’v been singing New York, New York to myself for days…”start spreading the news”…. I’m counting the minutes!! And, I also LOVE when my frissy comes to spend a month in July or December or anytime she can get here to visit her frissy back!!! MORE back at you!

Apr 20, 2012 @ 22:36:11

It is nice you take the time to do these things for yourself. No greater way to keep your sanity.
    I should have followed some of your examples when I was raising our children and trying to keep somekind of order. We all go through a lot of things we just wander how on earth we can handle everything, but I always think God never gives you more than you can share and He will always see you through it. Also, when I sometimes thought I had too much I handed my troubles back to Him and there is no greater peace than going to Mass and having God surrounding you with His grace and love.

Apr 20, 2012 @ 23:09:56

Yes, Aunt Ellen, these things have really helped me keep my sanity, but I realize, from speaking with my mom, that many of the things I learned to do to help me along the way may not have been something other’s of an eariler generation might have turned too as a means of a peaceful existance. Mom always told me that her generation just accepted whatever was dealt to them without question…my generation learned to question everything and look for a better way. Love you so much and thank you for following me and commenting on my posts. Cindy

3. Tracie Blackwell
    Apr 21, 2012 @ 14:04:30

I need to learn how to take time for me. I’m always doing for others and working too hard (trying to start a new business and all….which by the way I HATE but we’ll talk soon). I’m thinking about taking 6 months off, just for me. I always feel like I’m missing the big picture because I’m so focused on everyone else. We need to talk about meditation, getting centered, etc. Love ya cousin!!!!!

Apr 21, 2012 @ 15:04:38

Tracie, thank you so much for your comments. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. Please know anytime you need to talk, I am just a phone call away. Give me a call and perhaps we can go for a nice ride, walk, lunch etc. whatever you like and touch base on what is going on in your life. I will be more than happy to share with you what I have found works for me and I would be happy to help you get started on your journey to “taking time for you”. Love you too! Cindy

4. Megs
    Apr 28, 2012 @ 12:52:34

So many things in common. 🙂 Not surprised. I have got to get better about taking time for myself! I have lost myself the last few months in this crazy life.

Apr 28, 2012 @ 14:08:35

Yes, my sweet friend, you have been on a crazy ride lately with your new job, but when things settle down, I know you will make the time for yourself, that and we will make time for us to catch up! Love & hugs. Va