Wintertime Fun, or Not

If you follow my blog, you know winter is not my friend. I don’t like to be cold, ever… That is why I love, love, love, living in the hot climate of Arizona. The hotter the better for me. You will never hear me complain about the hot dry heat, ever

Our children, and grandchildren, on the other hand, love, love, love, the cold climate of Colorado. They love playing in the snow, and either they don’t get cold, or they don’t mind being cold…

This is a picture my step-daughter, Katie, sent me of our granddaughter’s, her two daughter’s Emma, in the blue coat, and Alex, in the black coat, playing in the snow. They look happy and delighted about being in enough snow to build a snowman bigger than they are don’t they? God bless their little sweet hearts. I love you both Emma and Alex so very much!

Alex and Emma

Alex and Emma built their first snowman of the winter season today as they just received the first snowfall of the season in Grand Junction Colorado. And I know they are already looking forward to many more happy snow days… All I can say is “beautiful to look at, delightful to hold, but if you’re a desert rat like me, it’s way too cold…”

It gets too cold for me right here in sunny Arizona, I have to brace myself every time our weather drops below 80 degrees. I just can’t handle cold damp weather. I like hot dry weather. I don’t like hot humid weather, only hot dry weather.

I do like to see the occasional rain storms we have here in Arizona. I love watching the monsoon storms roll in almost every evening in the summer. Our summer monsoon storms are warm rain storms. I will sit out on my back patio and watch the lightning, and listen to the thunder, for hours as the warm rain comes down and I love it!

I’m not as happy about our cold winter rain storms. I try to be happy about winter rain storms, and yesterday we had a big cold rain storm that brought in lots of much-needed rain to our desert valley… I even posted on my Facebook status that I was loving the rainy day yesterday because I didn’t have to get out in it and drive our daughter, Shantel to classes… I just stayed home and did all my ironing while sipping hot matcha tea, and watched it rain, and rain, and rain… and I really tried to keep loving that rain… But unlike our warm summer monsoon storms that hit with a vengeance, drop much-needed rain then move on… winter rain storms seem to want to linger for day’s like they have to be the center of attention and main attraction to everyone…

This is a park in my neighborhood that I walk through on many of my long walks… it usually has beautiful green grass, and lots of curved paths, and walkways to enjoy…but not today, because that nasty winter cold rain storm, that went on all day and night, dumped so much rain in this beautiful little park that it turned the park into a lake complete with swimming ducks! This is the result of 24 hours of non-stop cold rain here in “sunny Chandler Arizona.”

P1020544

Our warm summer monsoon rain storms might cause a little flooding of streets and desert washes…but the show is over quickly and warm summer monsoon rain storm knows when to move on… But no, if  you give cold winter rain storms an inch… she will take the whole nine yards and then some.. how selfish is that?

P1020546

So that is the last time I’m going to be trying to love cold winter selfish rain storms… and trying to befriend sister winter… No, give me HOT and DRY any day, and I’ll just be as happy as if I had good sense… 🙂

1. Lucie
    Nov 23, 2013 @ 21:21:16

Love it! I enjoy reading your blogs and I am one of those crazy people that just loves the snow and the more the better. I enjoy the winter rain and snow love to drive in it and sit in doors and just watch it come down. But sis we are different but we both agree that we love our grandchildren and watching them enjoy whatever weather comes. How wonderful to be young and find joy in all types of weather. Love you very much !

Nov 23, 2013 @ 21:36:14

Thanks Lucie. Yes, we are different, and most likely I’m the odd one out that doesn’t like the cold… but I totally agree about the grandchildren. I so love seeing them enjoy themselves in whatever they do…I miss being close to our kids and grandkids so much but that makes the time we do have together that much sweeter… Love you too. xoxo

Nov 24, 2013 @ 03:45:04

Funny we both had a post about weather! I guess great minds think alike. I saw the flooding in Arizona on the news this morning and thought of you. I don’t really like the cold but I do enjoy being close to my kids and granddaughter. I would definitely take hot and dry-it is now 22 here. Thanks for sharing.Great post

Nov 24, 2013 @ 13:08:16

Yeah, who knew we could have lake front property right here in Chandler Arizona. I’m thankful my house was not flooded like some homes were in other areas of the valley. It doesn’t take much rain to flood the desert, but this rain storm was a record breaker for sure.

Nov 24, 2013 @ 03:47:42

Somehow sentence got cut out- your grandchildren are beautiful

Nov 25, 2013 @ 23:41:49

When the rain started I thought of you!! It has been some nippy days that’s for sure. So think of us as we head east on one of the most horrific travel weeks of the year! xoxoxo More. Will keep you posted.

Nov 26, 2013 @ 01:14:03

You know you and yours are always in my thoughts and prayers frissy. Safe travels, and hugs and love to mom and day. Hope your Thanksgiving is enjoyable and blessed. I will be thinking of you and yours and sending positive thoughts and prayers your way. I’m so very thankful for you in my life. XoXo MORE!!!