Random Restroom Encounter

Yesterday my daughter, Shantel, came home from school and told me of a most outrageous encounter she had with a complete stranger in the restroom on her college campus. She said as she was washing her hands a woman came up to her and started a conversation that went like this:

Stranger: How long have you been disabled?

Shantel: Since I was about 2 years old.

Stranger: What happened?

Shantel: I lost my eyes to cancer.

Stranger: Your lucky.

Shantel: Why?

Stranger: Your life is easier, and you should be grateful because you get benefits from the government.

Shantel: I don’ get that much from the government.

Stranger: But you really wouldn’t have to work if you don’t want too. I don’t even know why your here at college.

Shantel: Walked out

After Shantel finished telling me about this “random restroom encounter”, I asked her how she felt about what that stranger said to her. Shantel said “I was really angry at first but I got over it. I just try not to let people like that get to me.”

All I can say is Shantel is a much stronger and better woman than I am. I was fuming just hearing about what that stranger said to Shantel. If I had been there, I don’t think I could have “just walked out” without asking that woman why she was wasting her time at college as it is evident she is still stupid and from the way she talks it doesn’t sound like that is going to change anytime soon..

It just never ceases to amaze me how ignorant, outrageous, and out right stupid some people can be… what gives anyone the right to not only  judge other people, but also just voice your uninvited opinions to them?

I’m proud of the way you handled the situation Shantel. I love you and YOU are my hero!

Apr 16, 2014 @ 16:23:13

People never cease to amaze, do they? My response would’ve been…”why are you in college when it’s obvious you have no brain?” And of course followed with a few choice words. But, that’s why she’s our girl…! Love you…more!!

Apr 16, 2014 @ 21:14:27

Your response would have been even better frissy. I love it, and you, MORE!! XoXo

Apr 16, 2014 @ 21:17:13

Thank you Aunt Ellen. Yes there will always be creatures like that stranger around, and I agree that it does make Shantel stronger as a result of learning to deal with them…. and yes, they will always be lurking around restrooms trying to make themselves feel better by making others feel bad… Love and hugs to all…

Apr 16, 2014 @ 21:03:55

Shantel, so sorry you have to encounter ignorant people like that , seems like she is the one with disability. You have creatures like that around just like those scorpions that creep up out of no where and embark in your life, but I think Shantel is above them and they give her so much more courage and strength from within to continue on with her fabulous life and those ignorant people are still going around in restrooms complaining and being miserable. Love you Shantel can’t wait to see pictures of your apartment❤️👏

Apr 17, 2014 @ 01:36:21

I cannot believe the rudeness of some people. She absolutely handled that encounter better than I would. Sorry Shantel you had to endure that but very proud of you

Apr 17, 2014 @ 02:14:03

Yes, Shantel is really amazing in how she handles situations like this… Like I said, she is my hero… I get so angry when I even hear about how strangers just come up and say things like that to her. But she always handles it with grace beyond her years. Thanks for your comments and continued support. Xoxo