Day One

And the final day of the ten-day countdown of our daughter, Shantel, moving into her own apartment.

Today Shantel got the keys to her first apartment. It’s so hard for me to believe that the same hand that held my arm as I walked sighted guide with her all these years is now holding the keys to her very first apartment. But it sure enough is true, and she moves in tomorrow morning. She says she wants to be there by 6:00 A.M. Funny, she never wanted to be anywhere that early when I wanted to go somewhere… 🙂

P1030164

On the way home from picking up her apartment keys, I finally convinced Shantel that she is going to need at least a few moving boxes to put things in that won’t all fit into the precious, clean, garbage bags she thinks can hold anything and everything… So we stopped by U-Haul and she bought four boxes saying she will use them for her dishes, pots/pans etc. but only after she puts them in clean garbage bags first… I guess I can claim that as at least half a victory…??

P1030169

Before we went to pick up the apartment keys, Shantel and I had a bowl of homemade chili for lunch. I was completely satisfied and won’t eat again until dinner. But, not our girl. No, as soon as we left the U-Haul store she asked me to take her to McDonald’s so she could buy a McDouble hamburger, large caramel frappe, and a large milkshake!!! She said all the stress of the day made her hungry. I said “you don’t even know what real hunger is. We just ate 2 hours ago so you couldn’t be really hungry.” I told her I thought she was a stress eater and addicted to food and sugar… she said “no one can be addicted to food…” I said “oh, yes they can, and you are. Your just lucky you haven’t gained 700 lbs in the process (yet).” Shantel just laughed and said “I wouldn’t mind gaining a little weight as long as I can eat what I want…” Famous last words!

Tomorrow I will take and post pictures of Shantel’s apartment. She is beyond excited but said she is feeling stressed thinking of all the packing, unpacking, and work she has to do when she gets moved in. Like washing all her bedding, dishes, etc. I laughed and said “if you think that is stress, I hope you never have to pack and move a whole house for an entire family…”

Ahhh, to be young, and clueless… Ha! 🙂 🙂

May 08, 2014 @ 22:46:03

Oh wow! The day has finally come! Looking forward to the pics! xoxo MORE!

May 09, 2014 @ 00:59:34

Yes, Frissy the day is upon us. If you read my Aunt Ellen’s comment she mentioned that I should bless Shantel’s apartment with Holy Water… I will do that tomorrow, and all the surrounding area’s, with the Holy Water you brought me from Fatima!! XoXo MORE!!!

May 09, 2014 @ 00:33:20

That is so sweet her holding the keys that holds on to your arm! Now that would choke you up!…She is a very brave and strong individual and I could never imagine the determination and the courage she has to do this step in her life, but know with the training and confidence you and Bill have instilled in her throughout the years she is able to make this journey with joy and spirit. Cannot wait until you post the pictures…Good luck tomorrow… You will have to Bless her apartment with some Holy water just to make sure it is safe. That is what your Grandma Sweeny would tell you….Have a good nights slept. Love you Shantel<3

May 09, 2014 @ 00:52:52

Yes, Aunt Ellen I will bless her apartment with Holy water my Frissy brought back to me from her trip to Fatima… You can believe I will have that Holly water spread all over her apartment and all the surrounding areas… Thank you for your continued comments and support. XoXo

• Ellen Kaufman
        May 09, 2014 @ 03:16:36

That is so comforting to know and so kind of your friend to bring Fatima Holy water that will make her apt and surroundings so protected…you are so luckily to have such a friend and each other!!!!💜

May 09, 2014 @ 01:17:18

What a day you had and the hauling and carrying begins tomorrow ,the good thing is we don’t have to put everything away, good luck Shantel, we love you.

Bill / Papa

p. s. oh and I forgot all the shopping before 10 AM.

May 10, 2014 @ 02:38:36

Certainly sounds like an exciting and busy day. The picture of Shantel’s hand holding the keys was stunning. Hopefully she is all moved in and you are relaxing. Thanks for sharing and can’t wait to see the pictures.