Shameful

In my last post, titled Shredding The Past, I mentioned one of the projects I’ve been working on from my “to do list” was cleaning out closets and giving everything we no longer use to Goodwill. I ended up with nine trash bags full of clothes,  shoes, and even purses Shantel left when she moved out because she can no longer wear and/or use them. I also had clothes I no longer wear all bagged up and clearly marked for the Goodwill truck to pick-up today.

In addition, we were donating this corner unit computer cabinet we no longer need.

P1030250

It too was clearly marked Goodwill on the back facing the street so the Goodwill truck, or anyone else can see.

P1030251

When I scheduled the Goodwill pick-up for today I was told the truck will come sometime between 7:00 A.M. and dusk. We were told to have the items clearly marked and sitting at the end of our driveway, which we did, and NOT on the sidewalk or street so the items would not be in the way of cars driving down the street, or people walking down the sidewalk, AND, so anyone who saw the items would know they were for Goodwill. And since they were set out on our property, and not the sidewalk or street, they remain our property until Goodwill came to pick them up…

Bill and I followed all the instructions we were given by Goodwill, trusting everything would go as planned. Then we went along our merry way this morning as we left the house to go to Total Wine and Costco…

However, when we returned home, Bill said I see Goodwill hasn’t been here yet because the computer cabinet was still sitting at the end of our driveway…BUT, all the clothes etc. were GONE!!

I was so upset when I saw someone came on our property to steal the bags of clothes etc. we set out for Goodwill. I told Bill how can people stoop so low as to steal from Goodwill? Bill said “let’s just hope they needed it more than the people who would have benefited from it at Goodwill…” I said ” I will try to hold that thought, but it really makes me angry because I see visions of whoever took those items just selling them at a yard sale…” Bill laughed and said “well, we did see that Goodwill was having a 50% off sale today… maybe the people that helped themselves to our items decided what makes more sense… 50% off everything at Goodwill or FREE at our house…?”

Personally, I don’t care what the reason was for the people that helped themselves to our items clearly marked for Goodwill, I think they ought to be ASHAMED of themselves, because that, in my opinion, is shameful… just SHAMEFUL!!!

I think Happy Hour is calling me now… 🙂

Stayed Tuned!

1. JBK
    Jun 01, 2014 @ 06:54:35

Maybe they needed it more than ‘Goodwill. We don’t give anything to them because they are not a charity. It’s a business which has made a milionair out of the headman. We give all our stuff to the Salvation Army. The head man there don’t even make 75000 a year and so they are not doing it for profit but for giving people a hand up. Same goes for all the groups that are for profit and not charity. I would look at it as someone in need is a lot happier. Your a good person Sis. You will get your reward when you meet your maker. He don’t forget. Love ya, JB

Jun 03, 2014 @ 02:40:32

I have a tendency to think maybe someone else needed it or maybe I just hope that is the case. They didn’t ask because they might be ashamed or embarrassed. I can understand your frustration. Just figure you did a random act of kindness. .

Jun 03, 2014 @ 21:45:35

I do agree Kathy that perhaps they needed it more than Goodwill… Since I was giving it away anyway… it really doesn’t matter to me who got it but the real factor for me was that who ever got the items came on our property and just helped themselves to it… If they would have asked, I would surly have given it all to them and more… xoXo

Jun 22, 2014 @ 19:44:35

I had a similar experience a number of years ago…but just thought the people who took it just needed it more than the company I called to pick it up! It’s all good! Love you!!

Jun 22, 2014 @ 20:46:47

I guess it doesn’t really matter who got the stuff and I do hope whoever took it really did need it more than the other people it might have gone too. It really is all good in the end! xoxo MORE!!

Jun 22, 2014 @ 19:45:31

P.S. No wonder it didn’t take a second for someone to pick it up…it’s a beautiful piece of furniture. That’s what happens when you put out good stuff!