Birds Of Passage

The dictionary describes one meaning as: Plural Noun:

People who pass through or visit a place without staying for long.

Both my husband Bill and I are beyond excited to announce that soon, Bill and I can be considered “birds of passage.” Why, because  Bill is going to retire very soon, and we decided to finally make our life long dream come true. Our home is paid for, so we are going to sell our home, and everything in it, buy a brand new motorhome, and travel the United States and Canada. OMG, even writing about this is so exciting…! 🙂

As many of you know, Bill and I have dedicated most of our married life to raising children, and/or caring for my mother after my father died. We enjoyed every minute of raising our children, and were happy to help my mother in any way we could. However, our children are all grown now and out of the house living their own lives, and my mother is in good care. With that said, Bill and I decided we don’t have another ten years to keep our lives on hold. We figure we will have at least 10-15 good traveling years to go and explore every state within the United States, and travel up into Canada as well… It’s finally going to be our turn to just do what we want, when we want, where we want, for as long as we want… and we are going to love, love, love every minute of it…

Actually, Bill could retire today, but he continued to work to provide insurance through his company for me. I can’t get Medicare for two more years. However, the desire to get out and start living our dream is so strong…we are looking into Bill finishing out this year working, then purchasing an insurance policy that would cover me for one year, allowing us to sell our home and possessions, buy our new motorhome, and start living our dream as early as 2016!

Ever since Bill and I made this decision, we spend hours and hours researching everything we can about motorhomes, i.e. different makes, models, floor plans etc. I created a retirement motorhome research binder where I am keeping all the information I find about full-time RVing.

P1030711

I’ve found out all sorts of valuable information about full-time RVing. Like becoming site hosts. Site hosts get their camp space and full hock-ups for free and many also get an hourly wage if you choose to work while you are there… Both full-time and part-time jobs are available that range from working a few hours in a gift shop to giving lighthouse tours when staying in ocean front camp sites… how fun would that be!!! Getting an hourly wage would help offset the cost of gas for traveling and of course free parking and hock-ups can’t be beat!!!

We are signed up to attend as many RV shows as we can between now and the time we purchase our motorhome. I’m also researching and following several blogs written by other full-time RVers, so that by the time we do purchase our motorhome, we will be well versed and able to make an informed decision about what we want to spend the rest of our lives in… it’s all so rejuvenating and exciting.

Of course, I will document and share each step of our journey along the way for those of you that care to know. From selling our home and possessions, to buying our motorhome and hitting the open roads…. and letting you know when we will be coming to a town near you… 🙂 🙂

Feb 10, 2015 @ 16:03:02

rejuvenating and exciting!!! Those are perfect words to describe your new adventure. I am beyond excited for you both. YOU TWO are the most deserving people that I know…all I want is for you both to be happy! Love it! and you!

Feb 10, 2015 @ 17:20:50

Exciting news! Sounds like riding in same tracks that your Mom and Dad experienced in their retirement years, They sure did discover the many, many different parts of the US plus lots of great stories to tell. May you both fulfill your dreams to the fullest.

Feb 11, 2015 @ 02:11:01

Yes Aunt Ellen, I am sure Bill and I will make lots of new memories, and have lot of stories to share with our children and grandchildren, and friends and other family members scattered across the United States when we stop by to visit them in our travels… Love you, Virginia

Feb 11, 2015 @ 00:08:56

Hi everyone how lucky can I get to have my wife and best friend buying into this vagabond life style. So exited to be planning for our days of retirement. I say our retirement because we made a deal that Virginia would clean the house ie: dusting and toilets, and I would clean and mop the floors, its a win , win for the both of us less square feet for everyone.

We both are going to live out our dream of seeing the United States and Canada, So many places to see and places to visit, I cant believe we haven’t left yet!!!

Soon to be retired

Bill / Bro

Feb 11, 2015 @ 02:14:14

Oh Bill, it didn’t take much for me to be all in on this deal of living the “vagabond life style” with you… after all we have talked about this all of our married life… I’m just so excited to know that it is now becoming a reality for us very, very, soon! Love you… Girly

Feb 12, 2015 @ 01:07:50

Congratulations to both of you. That does sound like fun. You know you will always have a open invitation here! I can’t wait to hear more of this adventure and hear of the process of choosing the RV. XoXo

Feb 12, 2015 @ 01:41:01

Thanks Kathy, we will for sure come to your city and visit you. Best part about going to visit anyone is no matter where we go, we will bring our home with us… 🙂 In the meantime we are anxious to find out exactly when you are going to get to come here to see us… as soon as you can get your vacation time scheduled just let us know and we will put it on our calendar and start making plans for fun, fun, fun, filled days while you are here… xoxo