Believe It Or Not

As I continue to process the passing of my mother, and we continue to work through the details of final arrangements, i.e. Friday we picked out her casket and made the graveside service arrangements, Sunday, Bill and I went back to the Care Center to go through her personal things, i.e. clothes, pictures etc. because the room needs to be cleared for a new resident arriving soon, and of course we wanted to make sure the staff at the care center knows how much we appreciate all they did to care for my mother, so Bill and I took two large platters of cookies for the staff on both shifts as a way of thanking them for all they did to care for her. My brother, Danny, is having fruit of the month delivered to the care center staff every month for a year as his way of thanking them for the care they provided… Six years is a long time to live in a 24/7 skilled nursing home, and over those years we came to know and love the staff and the other residents…

When I walked into the room where my mother lived, and died, the bed was stripped and only her personal belongs remained. As I looked around the room I thought about how many times my mother told me, after my father died 10 years ago, that she just didn’t want to go on living without him… As I remembered those conversations, I sent out a little private request to my mother. I asked her to show me some kind of a sign, if she could, that would be unique to her, so I would know that she is at peace now and where she wants to be… I didn’t even mention to Bill that I made that silent request to my mother.

When Bill and I arrived home, he went into our room and turned on the races like he does every Sunday during racing season. I normally turn on music and listen to that while I prep and/or cook make ahead meals for the upcoming week. I never turn on the TV on Sunday’s because first of all there is nothing on that I care to watch. We don’t have Netflix or cable, so if you don’t care for sports of some sort… the choices are pretty slim. But for some reason, out of the blue, I decided I would see if there was anything I cared to watch on channel 45, a channel I rarely, if ever, watch. I have to say I was amazed to find that the movie “Dances with Wolves” starring Kevin Costner was just starting… Believe it or not, that movie was my mother’s all time favorite movie… Like me, my mother rarely watched a movie a second time, but she watched Dances with Wolves six times! I watched the entire movie and took comfort in choosing to believe that my mother was letting me know she is at peace, and exactly where she wants to be…

On behalf of my brother, Danny, and his family, and Bill and I and our family, I want to thank everyone for the messages, however sent, to let us know you are keeping us in your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time in our lives. We very much appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Mar 14, 2016 @ 17:34:56

LOVE it!!! And YOU! Thinking of you sweetie!!!! xoxoxo your frister.

Mar 14, 2016 @ 18:30:43

Love you Sweetie and your Bill. We must always stay close and in touch as much as possible. I got Danny’s ph# from Ninfa and I want to call him later today just to talk and offer my sorry!
    If you get a chance will you text or let me know what the Church phone # is so we can call and make arrangements for a Mass for your Mom there. We love you all and will be text, FB, inbox or maybe just a phone call to hear your voice. I have been around my kids so much I guess I am starting to talk like them.
    Love Aunt Ellen and Uncle Harvey

3. Michelle Hamson
    Mar 14, 2016 @ 19:25:25

Was this just not wonderful!!!!! Thinking of you and your family. I did as you did ..when I lost my mom.. I asked for a sign and some beautiful angel wings appeared in the clouds the evening of her passing. You will get through this and Cindy she will always be with you. I know you hear this from others, but I promise it is true in so many ways. Love you cousin.

4. Lucie Vezie
    Mar 14, 2016 @ 21:24:25

Thank you Virginia for taking the time to keep us updated. Your mom was very special to me I loved her very much. She was my second mom and am so glad that she was part of my life. She will always be in my heart and thoughts. Love you guys.

Mar 15, 2016 @ 00:21:39

Mom loved you very much too Lucie and always thought of you as her daughter… I have always thought of you as a sister, and want you to know all of my family loves you and always will… XoXo

• Lucie Vezie
        Mar 15, 2016 @ 05:07:20

Thank you that means so much to me. Like Aunt Ellen said we all need to stay in touch as much as possible.