It’s All The Hiking

Bill and I were out on the beautiful San Tan Hiking Trails by 6:30 A.M. this morning. We headed up Moonlight, crossed over to Stargazer, then came back down San Tan. With over 10,000 acres and 20 miles of beautiful trails sitting in our backyard, we enjoy a hike almost everyday.

This morning we were looking for an open saguaro cactus flower to take a picture of because one of our fellow park hosts, Shelagh (who is from Canada) has been looking for one for days on end. She walks and walks and can never find one open… Well, I didn’t have the heart to tell her that she most likely won’t find one open in the heat of the day because they open at night and are closed by mid-day, which is usually when she is out looking for one to be open…

Bill and I traveled up and down several trails like this one,

IMG_0522 (2)

Searching and searching for an open saguaro cactus flower to take a picture of it for our friend Shelagh…

IMG_0518 (2)

Finally, we located one that was fully open for the first and only time. Because after they close, that same flower never opens again.. It is a beautiful sight to find an open saguaro flower in the daytime, and I’m sure there is some sort of special blessing one gets as they gaze upon it pondering it’s beauty…but I can’t confirm that.. Here you go Shelagh…this one is just for YOU!

IMG_0523 (2)

After we found the precious saguaro cactus, we continued along our way on the San Tan trails. We just love it here and in the early morning hours you often come across all different sorts of wildlife. But if not, as was our case today, you can sit on one of the several benches throughout the park and just take in all the beauty and sounds of nature at it’s finest…

IMG_0524 (3)

Isn’t it just beautiful? What a perfect way to start another perfect day here at San Tan Mountain Regional Park

FullSizeRender (2)

Now we are off to help one of our other park hosts, Robert, celebrate his 79th birthday. His wife Toni, is serving up lunch and cake and we will all share our birthday wishes for Robert, who I call Pappy. This celebration will be bitter-sweet because Robert and Toni decided this will be the last year they work/camp after 20 years on the road. They just want to relax now and enjoy their family. But they promised to come back and visit us and we will all look forward to that. We wish them well.

Oh, and by the way… Bill got the results of his yearly physical and blood work and the doctor said everything is good and his cholesterol is EXCELLENT!!! First time he ever got that kind of report… I smiled and said “I’m very proud of you, our retirement dream certainly agrees with you, and I believe “it’s all the hiking…”

Apr 05, 2016 @ 22:00:57

That’s why when would come to Arizona and visit we were always walking because Harvey needed that to live a full life and to this day we are walking and Harvey at 81 is as healthy now as he was when he had his bypass 24 years ago. No problems, thank the Lord Jesus. Eating right and walking will do that to your numbers. We are both in excellent health. So get it up both of you we are very proud of you.
    Love you guys , now go have your wine that’s what we are doing🍷🍷🌵

Apr 05, 2016 @ 22:36:36

Yes, Aunt Ellen I remember you and uncle Harvey walking, and walking, and walking, when you came to visit… and I know you still live that lifestyle today…Good for you both that you continue to be in good health, and that you eat right and continue to walk to stay healthy. We love you too and yes, we are having our well deserved little happy hour now too… xoxo

Apr 05, 2016 @ 22:04:11

What wonderful news!!!!! Lifestyle changes sure make a difference and you had a BIG one! Thanks for sharing your neck of the woods too! Love you!

Apr 05, 2016 @ 22:32:53

Oh yes GG, lifestyle changes really do make a difference. As hard as Bro always worked on his job… and said he was getting all the exercise he needed everyday just doing his job… he never had the results he had today when he had his blood work done which I think is the “proof in the pudding…” He found out that the kind of exercise we get now by hiking almost everyday really does make a BIG difference. He thanked me for “dragging him out on the trails, even when he didn’t really want to go..” I told him all I care about is that his yearly physical proved the results of our efforts… Counting the days until we can hike together again…xoxo

Apr 05, 2016 @ 22:35:44

I am so glad to have the good numbers, the only thing is always have to drag Virginia out every day to get her to hike. JUST KIDDING she is my motivator and I thank you for that.

Love you
    Your Bill

Apr 05, 2016 @ 22:44:58

OMG, you bad boy…, My only response to you “having to drag me out everyday to get me to hike” is in the words of the song… “That Will Be The Day…”Too FUNNY Bill, you are one FUNNY boy… but your my funny boy and I love you too!! Your Girly

Apr 06, 2016 @ 05:05:41

You two are so darn cute! xoxoxo

5. Lucie Veie
    Apr 06, 2016 @ 19:15:16

That is great to hear, keep up the good work Bill and the hiking too.

Apr 06, 2016 @ 20:49:26

We love hiking and plan to keep hiking everyday. We think it is a much better way to get a good workout rather than going to a gym. We just pick a different trail with each hike that allows us to work different muscles… And the best thing about it is that for us as park hosts, it’s completely free!! xoxo

• Ellen Kaufman
        Apr 06, 2016 @ 21:17:32

You have such a good thing going for you! Love that you guys are enjoying being together and love your motorhome. Taking care of each other is the main thing also….that’s what friends are for and lovers too.