Day Tripping

Bill and I went daytripping to Strawberry, Pine, and Payson today. What a beautiful day to visit these areas, take a great hike, have a picnic lunch, and just enjoy the great outdoors.

First stop, Strawberry, where we visited this adorable School House which is “A State Historic Site” Take a look.

We were not able to go inside because it is by appointment only, but we did look in the windows, and it is really adorable. I tried to get a picture through the windows, but they didn’t turn out, so you just have to take my word of how cute it really is.

They even have a little outhouse.

Next stop was Tonto Natural Bridge. We stopped in the gift shop, located in the Tonto Natural Bridge Lodge, that was built-in 1927, to purchase our day pass for visiting this State Park.

Then we made our way down the paved trail that led us to the trails that would take us to the Natural Bridge.

Such a beautiful place for a hike.

When we arrived at the place where the trail to the Natural Bridge really begins…, we saw this sign which gave us pause. Because as you can see, it says the trail is steep and includes loose slippery surfaces, and abrupt vertical steps… It then goes on to say this hike is not recommended for persons with hip problems which I have…, and that the area contains numerous natural hazards. But oh, wait…, it goes on to say enjoy it with caution… Well now that they scared the hell out of me, I’m all set to go!

We followed the steep, treacherous, trail, down,

down,

down… It was very steep, but also provided great views into the canyon that you will fall into if you lose your footing, remembering that sign warning… We didn’t make it all the way to the bottom, but we gave it our best effort…

But oh, my, from the point we were able to hike to, what a beautiful reward for your efforts.

One reason I didn’t challenge myself to going all the way to the bottom is because, like I told Bill, I am to the point in my life, where I don’t feel the need to prove anything anymore… I just want to have fun, and do what I like to do. That, and I always remember… if you hike down… you have to hike back up… Just saying. 🙂

This girl was very happy with the hike we did, and I made it back up out of there without having to call for rescue… Your welcome, that you did NOT have to witness that on the evening news. Ha!

Just before we started out on our hike, I saw a sign that said something to the effect of if you see Javelina , stay away from them… I thought to myself, yeah, right, I lived in the desert at McDowell Mountain Park all winter, and I never saw a Javelina

Well, butter my butt, and call me a biscuit…, but as we were leaving the parking lot of the Tonto Natural Bridge…, look what we saw.. JAVELINA!!

Shantel, seeing these reminded me of the time we had a javelina munching on our hedge in front of our house in Awhatukee, and I yelled, Shantel, come quick, and see this javelina eating our hedge, and you said “I wish I could mom…” Opps!  I’m so used to Shantel being blind, I sometimes forget she can’t see, and she has such a great sense of humor about it, it makes it OK that I forget…

Great day spent with my husband, who is also my very best friend.

1. Karen
    May 04, 2017 @ 22:15:18

Well, hi there “Biscuit”! As soon as you were posting going down, down, down, my first thought was Oh Lord, now she’s got to go up, up, up! ha ha Glad you used common sense and didn’t push it. I’m loving your blog and pictures of your relaxing retirement without work. Sure hope we are able to connect this fall.

May 05, 2017 @ 13:31:16

Hi Karen, good hearing from you. Yes, in my younger days, I would have felt like I had to hike all the way to the bottom of that canyon just so I could say I did it.. but thankfully, as I get older, common sense does kick in and I realize it’s all about finding ways to make adventures fun without hurting yourself. Yes, we do need to get connected this fall. If we can’t make that happen then we just aren’t trying hard enough. Right? Hope all is going well with your new home. How exciting! XoXo

May 05, 2017 @ 00:21:37

I had a great day with my best friend today,I was also surprised that we seen the Javelina. You didn’t mention anything about our lunch at the country club.
    Love you Bill

May 05, 2017 @ 10:48:59

Such a wonderful day you both had and I would have turned around also as you did sound good advice. You saw beautiful scenery and all and had fun so you can’t ask for anymore . You made it fun for all of us to read and I thank you , love you 😘 😘

May 05, 2017 @ 12:01:19

Love that you experienced all of these things! The bridge is such an incredible hike, but of course we did it years ago, ha! And the javelina! Now picture Bob feeding them dog biscuits out our front gate at the house. But they are a sight to see especially when babies are in tow, but that’s also when they are the most dangerous. Ok, gotta tell us about the country club lunch little miss biscuit! Love you!

May 05, 2017 @ 13:42:16

I can’t even begin to imagine Bob feeding javelina dog biscuits… they can be vicious if they want to be, especially, like you said, if there are babies around. There were a couple little ones in the group we saw, but they stayed in the background near the bushes with their mothers, and we stayed in our car. Stay tuned for a separate blog post about our country club lunch. It was so special it really needs a separate posting. XoXo