Mediterranean Meatball Ratatouille

Two weeks ago my husband, Bill, aka Papa/Bro and I decided we both wanted to try a new approach to  losing some unwanted pounds. After a lot of on-line research, and a trip to a local bookstore, we decided to give the Paleo food plan a try. This food plan is all about eating whole foods. It is also known for being a food plan that can help reduce inflammation in the body, something both Bill/papa./bro and I are excited to try.

One of the two books we bought to help us understand the Paleo food plan, and to provide recipes for us to follow the plan, gives this nutshell description of the Paleo food plan. “Paleo Made Simple:

1. Eat whole foods, not processed
  2. Don’t eat grains (especially wheat, but also corn, rice, oats, barley)
  3. Eliminate dairy products
  4. Avoid legumes (beans, peanuts)
  5. Enjoy lots of fruits, vegetables, and plenty of protein

The Paleo food plan is often called the “caveman” diet because it is based on whole foods that have not been processed in any way. Fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, eggs, and grass-fed meats (when possible), i.e. beef, pork, bacon, chicken, and seafood.

Bill/Papa/Bro and I read through all the information and decided we are both “all in” to give this new food plan our best shot. The first thing we did after making our total commitment to this new food plan was rid our home of anything that is not on the Paleo plan. No need to have temptation in our way right?

This is week two for us and so far, so good. Bill lost 3 1/2 pounds and I lost 2 pounds. Everyday we try a new recipe from the Paleo books we bought. So far all of them have been very good and filling.

Today, I made Mediterranean Meatball Ratatouille. This is a picture from the recipe book showing what it is supposed to look like.

I started out chopping up some grilled zucchini (Bill grilled up a lot of fresh veggies for the week), and I added fresh mushrooms, and onions.

I made meatballs out of ground Italian seasoned turkey, and browned them on all sides. Then I put the meatballs in the crockpot with the zucchini, onions and mushrooms, spices, and just enough chicken stock to keep it moist and set the crockpot to low for 5-6 hours. At the end of the cooking time, I put a can of diced tomatoes and two tablespoons of tomato paste into the crockpot and continued cooking an additions 15 minutes.

While that was cooking, I made a Paleo Bread from almond flour, baking soda, salt, eggs, honey, and apple cider vinegar. First I mixed the dry ingredients together,

then mixed the wet ingredients together,

and combined them to make the bread dough.

That was baked in our little outside oven at 300 degrees for 30 minutes, and produced this beautiful loaf of Paleo bread.

The next step in our dinner preparations was to process a head of cauliflower to make “riced cauliflower”,

that I stir fried in a non-stick skillet until it was tender but still a little firm. It was used to serve the ratatouille over.

The end result was delicious and something both Bill/papa/bro and I agreed we would definitely want to have again. High protein and very low carbs but very tasty, filling and satisfying.

It takes thought, time, and planning to cook whole foods vrs eating out, or using processed foods, but Bill and I are committed to this, and so far it is working great. We are excited to keep trying new recipes and see where this takes us.

Jan 23, 2018 @ 01:46:04

WOW! I’m very interested. The bread looked excellent and the veggies looked delicious. Now can you have reg. Italian seasoned meatballs with it… and just eat it like a meatball sub/paleo bread. You’re doing wonderful losing that much weight. Keep us posted with recipes and so forth.
    Love you 😘 😘

Jan 23, 2018 @ 13:27:56

Thanks Aunt Ellen. The bread is very dense, because there is no yeast used in it, and nothing like a sub-sandwich roll or crusty bread. Bill really liked it but I think it would be better if used for french toast with bacon and a sunny side up egg on top. This food plan allows any kind of meat but no dairy of any kind, no grains, including bread, or bread crumbs which many folks use to make meatballs, no crackers, oats, no beans, rice, and even certain starchy veggies are off limits like peas, and corn, It is really just eating whole foods that are less starchy like sweet potatoes, carrots, squash, eggs, grass-fed meats and fruits. It is easy to follow once you understand the plan and are committed to following it to the letter. We just researched it on-line and bought a couple of books and spent some time together reading to make sure we understand what we can and cannot have. A bit of real good news for us is that we can still have beer and wine so we can still enjoy our little happy hours everyday!! I will keep posting recipes we like and keep you posted on our progress. Love and hugs to all. XoXo

Jan 23, 2018 @ 02:53:45

Todays dinner was very good and very filling,the cauliflower was a good substitute for rice,
    The Paleo diet is pretty easy to stick with, once you get used to not eating all the carbs and legumes. By taking out all of the foods that you are not supposed to eat, makes your life easier because you do not have to question if you can eat it or not. The 3.5 lb. I lost in the first week is a good ,but if I lose 1-2 a week I’ll be happy.
    Love you Girly, thanks for all you do for me.

• Ellen Kaufman
      Jan 23, 2018 @ 05:29:12

Awesome Bill….you should be very proud of yourself. With your wife cooking that kind of delicious food for you you’ll be down the weight you want to be plus finding a new way of eating…Both of you will be feeling pretty good about yourselves and I can tryout the recipes too.. thank you 😊

Jan 23, 2018 @ 13:34:01

I’m happy you are being satisfied with this new food plan and finding it easy to stick to. It does take some adjustment, time, and a lot of planning to make sure we always have fresh foods ready to cook and/or have things prepped ahead of time, like all the veggies and fruit you grilled, which makes cooking dinner go a lot faster. Love you too and love this journey we are on together. XoXo

3. Holly
    Jan 23, 2018 @ 13:42:50

I think your picture of the food looks better than the picture in the book. Way to go both of you.

Jan 23, 2018 @ 15:46:01

I couldn’t agree more with Holly about the images! Great! Can’t wait to hear more and how fortunate you are to have a partner willing to go on these “adventures” with you!! It so much easier when you are both in it together. Good luck and I’m sure we will see big changes when we get together in March! Love you both!!

Jan 23, 2018 @ 16:15:08

Thanks Frissy! Yes, it is so much nicer, and easier, to try something new when you have someone willing to take the “adventure” with you… Love you and will be counting the day’s again! Xoxo