Exploring Grand Lake, Colorado

Today, Bill and I, drove from Kremmling, Colorado, to Grand Lake, Colorado. What a beautiful drive, and an almost,  perfect, day.

The first thing we did when we arrived in Grand Lake was visit the Grand lake Lodge.

Loved these two old vehicles sitting right out front of the lodge waiting to greet arriving guests.

The lodge is beautiful, as seen in the next two pictures. Love all green trees,

and the wood staircase, that takes you into the lodge, where you can see beautiful views of the lake from the dinning room.

And of course, beautiful lake views from the pool area.

Inside the lodge lobby, is a huge wood-burning fireplace that smells wonderful when you walk through.

After touring the lodge, we took a hiking trail from the lodge through the woods. I don’t know what happened to me today, but a short way into the hike, I had a mini panic attack, and just became very afraid of going deeper into the woods. I started thinking about running into a bear, and became almost frozen with fear. I told Bill that I wasn’t feeling good about this hike, and he said “then why don’t you go back to the car and wait, because I want to go on”? Well, that made me tear up, because I didn’t want him to go on alone, and I knew I was being unreasonable, but at the same time, I couldn’t help what I was feeling… So, I started doing lots of self-talk, and told myself I can, and will, do this, and I did, with tears in my eyes, but I kept hiking until Bill asked if I was ready to go back which was about one mile into the deep woods hike.

We had our hiking sticks our friend, Ken, hand-carved for us, and they came in very handy,

because we hiked over streams,

and balance beams.

And don’t you know, we meet two people that told us they saw a moose today. One woman told us she saw a big bull moose right on the trail we were hiking. She said she saw it about 7:30 this morning and actually had to turn around and go back. Now, we were on that same trail at 9:30 this morning and saw nothing. Then, we came across this woman, on her horse, as we were making our way back from our hike. She said she saw a big moose this morning, on another trail, that connects to the trail we were on. But, as of this writing, I still have not seen any MOOSE!

After our hike, we walked all around Grand Lake Village,

visiting all the little adorable shops.

Great views of the lake could be seen from different parts around the Village,

and of course, there were lots of folks having fun out on the lake.

You can rent stand-up paddle boards, larger party boats, and I’m sure, if  you happen to know someone that owns one of these private boats, you might get lucky enough to have them take you out on the lake in it.

Such a beautiful drive between Kremmling, Colorado, and Grand Lake. I just love the big rock formations.

Other than the day trip to Costco, in Eagle, Colorado yesterday, this was our first official outing to explore the surrounding areas of Kremmling, Colorado. We’re here for the month of August, so we know we will have many more exploring outings to come.

Stay tuned!

1. Laurie
    Aug 02, 2018 @ 21:56:32

Great Pictures Cindy, when do you head back to AZ? We should be there October sometime. Hugs and Much love. FYI my mom is doing well.

Aug 03, 2018 @ 12:44:59

Thanks Laurie. We will be back at McDowell Mountain Park on October 1st. We’re spending a month here in Kremmling, then we move on to Fruita, Colorado (about 20 minutes from our kids that live in Grand Junction) for the month of September. We will for sure need to plan a get together when we get back to Arizona. So happy to hear that your mom is doing well. Perhaps she will be able to come out and visit again. Hope all is well with you and yours too. Love and hugs. XoXo

Aug 02, 2018 @ 22:31:43

You are a brave soul, and Bill probably knows what he’s talking about by encouraging you to go on and he was going with or without you. Made you a stronger woman. Maybe if I was your age I would have gone with Harvey, but today I probably would have hurried back to the car or lodge and left him go and been a coward and gone shopping in those cute little shops.
    I commend you for your bravery. Enjoy your new adventures and posting those beautiful pictures. Love you guys.

Aug 03, 2018 @ 12:51:46

Thank You Aunt Ellen. I guess getting older is also making me a little more nervous than I expected. I love to go hiking, but every once in a while I just get to thinking too much about the “what if’s”, and that turns into fear that can get in the way of really enjoying the hike. But, I’ll just keep working on trying to not over-think what could happen… Love and hugs to all. XoXo

3. William M Kirnberger
    Aug 03, 2018 @ 02:30:58

Wow what a great place, both the Grand Lake Lodge and the Village, the hike was a little slow in the beginning but all in all it was beautiful,unfortunately we did not see any moose, hopefully we will see one before we leave this area. You did a great job Girly on the hike, I know the best part for you was when we saw the road back to the lodge.
    Love you Bill

Aug 03, 2018 @ 12:57:11

It was a great place Bill, and even though the beginning of the hike was slow, we got through it together, and it was beautiful although, your right, for me, the best part of that hike yesterday, was getting back to the lodge area. Don’t know what happened to my strong, brave, self yesterday, but as I mentioned to Aunt Ellen, I’m working on trying to not over-think the what if’s… Love you too. XoXo

4. Robin
    Aug 03, 2018 @ 15:47:21

What a beautiful area and that lodge is so inviting. Love the location of it! I can soooo relate to your comment back to Aunt Ellen. I do feel aging changes our outlook on things and places fear of the “what if’s” front and center. I’ve had “fear” on my list of topics to talk about on my SABI blog and will be looking forward to your thoughts on this too. I haven’t had a chance yet to work on postings, it’s been crazy busy here with Mom etc….but plan to do some updates soon. Love you and of course VERY PROUD. xoxo

Aug 03, 2018 @ 19:30:25

Thank you frissy. I hadn’t realized the effects of fear, associated with the aging process, so much as I have this year. I can’t say I’m afraid all the time, or afraid of everything, but from time to time, I do feel myself giving into what I call “mini panic attacks” that I have to talk myself out of, because I realize in my mind that I’m being unreasonable, but at the same time, I can’t control what I’m feeling inside i.e. rapid heartbeat, knots in my stomach, etc. I’m looking forward to your new SABI blog. I tried to subscribe to it today, but kept getting some kind of system failure. I’ll try again after you do a few postings. Love and miss you. XoXo