Happy New Year

I’ve never been one to make New Year resolutions. I prefer to make positive changes in my life anytime I feel the need to do so. Throughout this year, and especially in the last few months of this year, I’ve made several changes in my life that are bringing a lot more positive energy around me, and into my life.

I’ve always been dedicated to my Catholic Faith, but this year I started dedicating even more time to my prayer life by dedicating a time of day as my prayer hour. This is in addition to my regular morning and evening prayers. I’m amazed at the difference a dedicated prayer hour has made in my life. It has sharpened my focus on what is really important, and meaningful in my life. It has allowed me to look for things in my life that tend to drain my energy, and replace those things with things that bring me positive energy. Did you know there is actually a list of “Everyday habits that drain your energy”? Well, there is, and this is what it says:

1. Taking things personally
  2. Holding on to the past
  3. Always checking Facebook
  4. Sleeping in late
  5. Fueling drama
  6. Over stressing
  7. Having a poor diet
  8. Complaining all the time
  9. Overthinking
  10. Gossiping
  11. Not living in the moment
  12. Trying to please everyone
  13. Worrying about what others think

Some folks get so caught up in the things on the list, they don’t even realize that is what is draining their energy and causing so much negativity in their lives. Another big change both Bill and I have made in our lives is deactivating our Facebook accounts. We had a conversation one evening and discussed how much negativity is out on Facebook, and asked ourselves why we were allowing that to come into our home and our lives. Then we simply made the decision to drop Facebook from our lives, and for us, it has been wonderful. We want our friends to feel comfortable to stop by and visit us, call or text us, instead of being virtual friends on Facebook that might read a posting and hit the like button or send a heart…

A few months ago, a dear friend of mine gave me a small friendship banner. The words on that banner resonated so much with me that I have it hanging on a door in our home to remind me every day what genuine friendship is based on. This is what the friendship banner says:

“Friendship

We have genuine friendship when it is based on true human feeling, a feeling of closeness in which there is a sense of sharing and connectedness. I would call this type of friendship genuine because it is not affected by the increase or decrease of the individual’s wealth, status, or power. The factor that sustains that friendship is whether or not the two people will have mutual feelings of love and affection, genuine human friendship is on the basis of human affection, irrespective of your position. Therefore, the more you show concern about the welfare and rights of others, the more  you are a genuine friend. The more you remain open and sincere, then ultimately more benefits will come to you. If you forget or do not bother about others, then eventually you will lose your own benefit.”

H.H. The XIV Dalai Lama

That is what I want my friendship with others to be, and what I want from others as my friend. And, for me, that just doesn’t happen on Facebook.

I will continue to work on myself, my goals, and doing me throughout 2019.

I wish all of you the very best.

Happy New Year!

1. Robin
    Jan 02, 2019 @ 00:22:35

What a wonderful post to start the new year! I couldn’t agree more about Facebook and I’m so on the fence because of all the Cambodian students – as I interact with them. However, I’m seriously thinking of doing the same. I’ve reduced my time significantly there, but still think putting even just that little extra bit of time and effort into my art. Love you!

Jan 02, 2019 @ 12:52:56

Thank you. I think FB serves a purpose for lots of folks and if it works for them that’s fine, it just no longer serves a purpose for me. Looking froward to seeing you soon.

Jan 02, 2019 @ 01:04:50

Sounds like we are going to have a great year ahead of us. Love you Bill

Jan 02, 2019 @ 12:46:19

Yes, I’m looking forward to another great year with you, and I’m very excited about going to South Dakota this summer to see what new adventures await us there. Love you.

Jan 02, 2019 @ 03:16:26

Sounds like you’re on the right track for the reasons you have stated. We would like to wish you two a very Happy New Year in 2019 with continued Health, Happiness and continued Blessings in your life. We will continue to stay in touch with e-mail and continue to read your Beyondcinderella and leave replies.
    I try also to keep negative people and remarks out of my life and if they are on FB I don’t read them or I drop them from my friend’s list. I try to spread a little positivity and love around with the things I post and it really my way to keep in contact with my nieces and nephews and cousins who live across country and in other places. It gives me joy. So I’m happy for you and Bill that you have made your decision and hope you continue to keep in touch with me and I haven’t offended you in any way. Love Guys

Jan 02, 2019 @ 12:43:32

Hi Aunt Ellen, no one offended me on FB, I just made the decision that I would rather have more personal contact with my friends and family in person or with phone calls, text, or email communications that are not connected to FB. I sent you, and others, a text message letting you know I deactivated my FB account and I will for sure stay in touch with you. I don’t have your email address so perhaps you can text that to me. You know mine is bnvkirnberger@gmail.com and my phone number is (480) 309-8146. You have always been a very kind and positive person. I love you and look forward to our continued communications. Love and hugs to all.

• Ellen Kaufman
        Jan 03, 2019 @ 16:06:50

ellenkaufman739@yahoo.com
        843-655-6161
        No problem, as long as we keep in touch and it is so nice to talk and hear your voice.
        Enjoy your winter wish of a beautiful warm even hot weather.
        Love you

Jan 04, 2019 @ 12:37:00

Thank you Aunt Ellen. It is warming up a bit for the next couple of days then we will get another dose of rain and cold weather. I just don’t know how folks that live in really cold states manage to keep warm when they go outside. I have hats, gloves, heavy coats and I stay cold… Love and hugs to all. XoXo