Needles Highway And Sylvan Lake

Yesterday Bill and I took a lovely drive on the Needles Highway in Custer State Park. The visitor information sheet says “Driving along South Dakota Highway 87 will bring you to a 14-mile stretch fondly called the Needles Highway.

The road will lead you through a maze of granite spires,

a popular destination for climbing enthusiasts from all over the world.

Marked by narrow tunnels and sharp turns,

the road is a favorite for many motorcyclists, too.” You have to be careful going through these tunnels, because they are a one way vehicle passage.

Bill,

and I both enjoyed stopping along the scenic Needles Highway to just pause, and take it all in.

After passing through the last tunnel on the Needles Highway, you can either turn around and go back the way you came, or continue on to visit other equally beautiful, and scenic, places.

Places like Sylvan Lake. The visitor information sheet says that “Sylvan Lake is arguably the most picturesque of all Black Hills Lakes.

Surrounded by pine and spruce trees,

Sylvan Lake is the starting point for challenging trails that lead to Harney Peak, the highest point east of the Rocky Mountain Range. Sylvan Lake offers rock climbing, camping, watercraft rentals, fishing and a swimming beach.”

Bill and I didn’t take the most challenging hikes, but we did hike the trail that takes you all around the lake. It was a moderate hike that took us up and over hills, and up lots of steps that took us through walking tunnels,

and both Bill,

and I enjoyed the experience.

After our hike, Bill and I enjoyed a picnic lunch beside the lake. We spent the afternoon talking and laughing with each other, and giving thanks that we are blessed to be able to live this retirement life we dreamed of living.

Tomorrow, it’s back to work for three days, then we will have another four days to get out and play again, and explore this amazing state of South Dakota.

1. Robin
    May 31, 2019 @ 16:24:59

Oh how very cool and beautiful! Love the granite spires and those narrow tunnels. I bet the hiking in that area is fantastic. So intriguing with the steps. Sounds like the perfect hike and lunch. Love to you both!

Jun 01, 2019 @ 11:59:49

I love the granite spires and the tunnels too, and yes, there are so many beautiful places to hike around here. We haven’t had the chance to get out to do much hiking because when the snow melted all the trails were sloppy and muddy, and then it rained for a week off and on… But it’s looking better for this upcoming week! Stay tuned! XoXo

May 31, 2019 @ 16:33:35

We did have a great time hiking around the lake,the drive up the Needles highway,I even got out to see some of the views of the Black Hills. Thanks for the great lunch you put together, can’t wait for our next adventure. Love you Bill

3. Marie
    Jun 01, 2019 @ 07:36:08

The place looks stunning. – I’ll hopefully get there some day

Jun 01, 2019 @ 11:55:23

Thanks for stopping by my site and leaving your comment. Custer State Park is stunning, as is all of South Dakota that I’ve seen so far. I definitely recommend visiting here.

4. Karen Reno
    Jun 01, 2019 @ 12:56:04

I’ve never seen anything like those granite spires. So rugged and so beautiful. Looks like this will be a great summer for you two. I’m enjoying your pictures and posts. Be safe!!

Jun 01, 2019 @ 14:00:09

Hi Karen, thanks for leaving you comment. I had never seen anything like the granite spires either. I just fell in love with that area. It’s just all so beautiful. Every area we’ve been to here in Custer State Park is different, yet beautiful in it’s own way. Hope you are enjoying a fabulous summer. Take care. XoXo